9.17.2009

Hot Spots!

Bluebonnet has her second hot spot in as many years. I'm sure that this is no big deal, especially for those of you with multiple dogs, but for me, it creeps me out and makes me question my caretaking abilities. Last time she had a hot spot it was clearly a cut that she got to scratching and the matted area got so big that it had to be shaved. This time it's clearly a bite of some kind right by her whiskers. I noticed it this morning and immediately starting freaking out. Luckily Kris hadn't left for work yet so he was able to be the voice of reason and remind me that last time we took care of the wound with Neosporin per the vet's orders.

I wasn't able to find Neosporin but I did find both Bacitracin and Cortizone 10. I googled to make sure either were safe to put on dogs' skin. Last year I put hydogen peroxide on the area not knowing how much that burns their skin. Anyway, I had to leave for work so I put some Bacitracin on the hot spots which I think was a mistake - I'm reading some articles online that say Cortizone and Benadryl are the way to go with hot spots to help the itching and because Bacitracin keeps the spots moist not allowing them to dry out. UGH!!! Am I ever going to get this right?!?!

So now I'm at work, worried about my sweet doggie back home and hoping that Clementine isn't sitting their licking Bluebonnet's face constantly.

Happy DOT to everyone!!!

5 comments:

Channon said...

Repeat after me: I am a GREAT doggy-ma. Hot spots happen...

Mugsy was allergic to almost everything by the end of his life, and almost always had a hot spot, from his own manic licking, if nothing else. Fred got hot spots at least once that I recall, *IN* that wad of extra fur and skin below his neck. It happens. You found it, you know how to treat it, and even if Clem helps out and licks too much today, it'll be okay!

Anne-Kathrine said...

Don't beat yourself up, you are doing the best you can for your baby. Nanuchy has had hotspots on and off most of her life. I actually have a spray from the vets to put on her spots since she has had so many. Sonja had one and I had to shave the area since she has a double coat (being a sheltie and all). Neosporin is great to have on hand (which reminds me Im out of it and need to pick some up LOL)

Sue said...

Norma Jean had an enormous hot spot under her chin. We have a lotion from the vet that we put on them and give some benedryl to help the itching.

I'm sure she'll be just fine. These things happen.

1000 Goldens said...

I understand how you feel, my Farley has been getting hot spots every year too. Our dog blog friend AuggieDoggy recommend this product called Sulfodene that you can get at any pet store. It's a yellow liquid that you can apply with a cotton ball. It really helps and seems to dry up the wound. I was worried it would sting but Farley seems to feel relief when we rub it on. Good luck :o)

Swampechaun said...

Thanks everyone!!! I hope now that we are going through our second hot spot that I am less likely to freak out next time. I patted it dry this morning and gave her a benadryl. It's not as bad as the first one so I'm hoping it comes and goes quickly!